Thank you for your interest in volunteering at the Southworth Library! The volunteer application form describes our various volunteer opportunities. We’re always open to new ideas as well.
- Adopt-A-Shelf: Organize books using the Dewey Decimal system, check for foreign items among book pages, and make shelves neat and orderly. Must be meticulous and be able to work independently. May require kneeling, standing or crouching for long periods of time.
- Baked Goods: Prepare baked goods for library and fund raising events.
- Traveling Books:These volunteers travel to day care facilities with a bag of books for preschoolers every other week, read a few books to the children and leave the books for the day care provider to use until the next visit when they bring a new bag. Should have excellent interpersonal skills. Requires some lifting and may require use of personal vehicle and valid Driver’s ID.
- Willowbrook Senior Housing: We provide books and materials for the residents who find it difficult to get to the library. Every 4 weeks, we select new titles to bring over and pick up the ones that are there. Should have excellent interpersonal skills. Requires some lifting and may require use of personal vehicle and valid Driver’s ID.
- Library Service Assistant: This includes shelving books after they have been returned or processed, shelf reading to make sure items have been put back correctly, book repair and processing. Requires strong organizational skills, good alphabetization knowledge, and basic understanding of the Dewey Decimal System. Mus enjoy working with people, have excellent customer service skills, and be able to multi-task. Must be willing to volunteer 2-3 hours per week for at least 3 months. The job requires minimal lifting (20 lbs) and crouching.
- Youth Program Assistants: Help with children and teen programs both in preparation and execution.
- Greeters: Answer basic questions about the library and help people find what they are looking for.
- Internet Trainer/Digital Services Assistant: Provide assistance for people to use the internet for their information needs an to help them with basic internet and software use and with electronic devices.
- Special Program Assistants: Assist with setup, preparation and execution for programs or special events.
- Fundraising: Got an idea? We can use you!
Who volunteers at the Southworth Library?
The library currently enjoys the support of many volunteers who generously share their knowledge, skills and enthusiasm with our community. Their jobs range from shelving and covering books, assisting with program preparations, computer/digital instruction ,reading at preschools and delivering services outside our walls, all tasks critical to carrying out the mission of our Library. Volunteers come to us from a variety of backgrounds. From retirees who want meaningful work to students fulfilling community service credits, we provide training and support to volunteers from all walks of life. You must be 14 years of age or older to volunteer.
There are many reasons to volunteer at the library. Here are a few:
- Meet new people and make new friends.
- Teen intern experience
- Fulfill a community service requirement
- Provide assistance for our many programs and offerings
- Be closer to books, book lovers, authors, and new ideas.
In any capacity, our volunteers bring with them a sense of commitment, dependability, flexibility and an appreciation of the vital service Southworth Library provides for our community.
Want to get involved at the library?
- Call us at 607-844-4782
- E-mail email@example.com
- Pick up an application at the circulation desk or download here: volunteer application
Contact us to find out more about volunteer opportunities and together we’ll discover which job is right for you!