Who can get a library card?
- Anyone may use our library free of charge. A library card is necessary in order to borrow materials.
- Library cards are free, but require proof of address and photo ID. A valid card issued from any other library in the Finger Lakes Library System can also be used at the Southworth Library.
- Children up to age 12 need to have a parent accompanying them when obtaining a library card and must have parental permission.
- Please note- A delinquent account at any other Finger Lakes Library will restrict borrowing privileges and Southworth Library.
- Computer access is available to all, regardless of their current account status.
- Library Card Application Form
What are the loan periods and fines?
- Books, audio books, and magazines are initially loaned for 3 weeks and most have automatic renewals.
- If there are holds on an item, it will NOT autorenew, so be sure to check your account. You can also call the library to verify item due dates though we cannot accept renewal messages on the answering machine or through email.
- Some items have other loan periods so be sure to check your account.
- There is a limit to 5 DVD’s per library card, 2 gaming cartridges and one portable electronic device, such as a NOOK or launchpad. They have a 1-week loan period though some auto renew as well.
- Circulating reference books are limited to a 1-week loan period.
- Inter-library loan services are available from all libraries in the Finger Lakes Library System for most collections
- Loans outside the library system are available through the WorldCat system. Special loan periods and fines exist for these items.
- All library materials may be returned after closing in the outside book drop. They will be processed upon the next business day.
- Southworth Library items may also be returned to any FLLS Library, and you can return items from other libraries here as well.
- The Southworth Library does not charge fines for overdue materials except for inter-library loans items. We still ask that all items be returned on or prior to their due date. A bill for replacement and processing will be send for any items not returned withing 30 days of their original due date. Borrowing privileges are suspended once an account has reached ten dollars in fees or 10 overdue items.
- Patrons who lose or badly damage our items will be charged for the replacement costs.
- Items loaned from other libraries as inter library loans are subject to the fees charged by the lending library.
What library services are available?
- There is handicapped accessibility for most of the library
- 14 Public access computers and free wireless internet connectivity
- Printing is available from the computers at $.10 per page/side for black and white prints and $.25 per page/side for color
- Black and white public access copier for $.10 per page/side for library materials and $.20 per page/side for personal materials
- Tax forms for state and federal income taxes
- Fax service for $1.00 for the first page and $.50 for successive pages for each fax sent
- Free parking for library use
Can I use the computer at the library?
- The library has 14 Public Computers for patron use. They are all Windows based and internet compatible. Patrons must read, agree to and sign the Internet Usage Policy to use computers.
- We also have the following Digital Devices for use in-house: Samsung Galaxy; HP Slate; Amazon Kindle; Nintendo DS3
Patrons with a valid Southworth Library card may use the Internet.
- ◦ Anyone 16 years old and under must have a parent sign a juvenile Internet permission form which will be kept on file in the Library.
- ◦ Users must sign on at the Circulation desk to use the Internet station.
- ◦ New users are required to read and sign a written Internet Usage Policy prior to using the computer.
- ◦ There is a 30-minute time limit for Internet users, and all computers are turned off 15 minutes prior to closing.
- ◦ There is a $.10 charge for each black and white page printed and a $.25 charge for each color page printed.
- ◦ Accessing pornography is strictly forbidden.
- ◦ Patrons may not tamper with, edit, alter, damage, or change locations or documents on the computers.
- ◦ Patrons may not install, download, or save any software, programs, or files onto the hard drives.
- NON-COMPLIANCE WITH THIS POLICY WILL BE GROUNDS FOR REVOCATION OF INTERNET USE AND POSSIBLE SUSPENSION OF LIBRARY PRIVILEGES
Who can use the library?
- The library is available to anyone free of charge within the confines of the Rules of Conduct.
- Those who violates the code of conduct may be asked to leave.
- The library is available for use during open hours for reading, computer access, one-on-one tutoring and small group meetings with permission.