Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost their brain power? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge – all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
Southworth Library’s 1000 Books Before Kindergarten Program is a fun, exiting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to give years can participate.
Here is what you need to do:
- Register by signing up at the library. You can get your program materials at the library or print them for the 1000 books website.
- Track Your Reading on the form or with the 1000 books app from iTunes or Google Play.
- Every Book Counts: It can be the same book over and over again! You can also count books that your child hears at Story Time at the library, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member.
- 100 Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading record to the library to receive a special reward and track your progress on our reading wall.
- 1000 Books: Come celebrate at the library and receive a free book!
- Keep on Reading! Don’t stop at 1000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
One thousand books may seem like a lot, but if you read just one book a night, you’ll meet your goal in less than 3 years. If you read three books a night, you could reach your goal in just one year!